Join Tracy and her delightful guest, 18-year-old Lucy Van den Heuvel. At 16 Lucy left high school, not knowing how she was going to go forward with her education. She eventually found a college that accepted students as young as 16, and applied. In May, Lucy will graduate from Bard College at Simon’s Rock in Massachusetts, where she will receive her Associates of Arts degree instead of a high school diploma. In college she is studying sustainable agriculture, and co-manages the campus farm. When she’s not farming or studying, she spends her time hiking, oil painting, rock climbing, and crocheting.
Today she looks at the decision to leave high school without graduating as one of the best she’s ever made.
- The circumstances surrounding her ADHD diagnosis
- Her childhood symptoms
- How her love of storytime got her into trouble in pre-K
- Her life-long struggle with school
- Her struggle with anxiety
- Why she decided to drop out of high school
- Why Bard college was the perfect fit for her curious brain
- Her plans after graduation
- What has changed since she was diagnosed
- The ADHD traits that she feels are responsible for her success?
Bard College at Simon's Rock